The sweetest, helpful, considerate girl I know. Fama Ndiaye. 14 years old. She is pictured here with my brother when he came to visit.
Not uncommon in Senegalese culture, her mother gave her away to another family member to live with her (my host mother,mother of 10 herself, grandmother of who knows how many). So Fama lives with us and helps out in countless ways around the house. 2 of the 3 other girls who live in the house are daughters of my host mothers sons, whose wives live here in the compound. They are much better off- new clothes, basic school supplies, not to mention parental love and guidance.
There are about 12 kids that live in my house ( i say about because it fluctuates during vacation periods) and I love them all dearly and equally. (ok there is one devilish 3 year old boy...) But Fama stands out as kind and patient, as I experienced, most noticeably when I was new.
We got to become good friends. Last August I convinced my host mom to start her in school. Well to let me start her in school. She skipped a grade almost immediately being such a quick learner. She has such a thirst for knowledge. And of course I want to make sure that thirst is always quenched and then some.
I help her with the basics- school fees, bookbag,supplies, a few clothes.
As a Peace Corps volunteer I have limited funds. I just want more for her. I promised her already I will help her through highschool. No problem! But wouldnt it be amazing to encourage her further? Books, a bookbag that doesnt fall apart a week after buying it, a new shirt or two.
Oh, i forgot to mention the whole reason I started writing this post. i am beaming with joy (as is she) that she scored 3rd in her class again this semester! That is out of 60 students. She was so excited to tell me though as she scored 3rd in the fall we hoped for 1st or second. The saddest thing is she cannot share this joy with most of the older girls and adults in the family.
We must encourage her! She also needs glasses which I will take care of this week. Let me know if you want to help my angel! $10 is a lot for her. Clothes, school supplies, everything, SO WELCOME.
merci :)
No comments:
Post a Comment